Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Vocabulary #7

cursory: without noticing details
  • She took a cursory glance at her econ text book the night before the big exam.
impetus: a moving force, impulse
  • With the new pool at righetti, we have seen quite the impetus in swimming students.
pinnacle:the highest point
  • My dad reached the pinnacle of his career when offered the promotion he had been working for.
contumely: insulting display of contempt in words or actions; humiliating treatment
  • He continued putting me down in such a contumely way to intentionally embarrass me.
bereavement: a period of mourning after a loss
  • After his mother died, we all expected there to be a very long bereavement because the two were so close.
cache: a hiding place (especially one in the ground)
  • My grandma keeps all of her valuables in a cache under her bed.
consummation: completion; fulfillment
  • All of my hardwork payed off with the consummation I felt after I finished that project.
calamity: a great misfortune or disaster
  • The earthquakes in Pakistan are leaving calamity after calamity with the locals.
avarice: insatiable greed for riches
  • His avarice for the gold was sickening.
fortify: to protect or strengthen against attack
  • My mom buys the fortifying shampoo to help fix and restore dead ends.
erratic: eccentric
  • His teacher's erratic behavior was something he'd never experienced before.
ubiquitous: being everywhere, especially at the same time
  • Life would be so much easier if I could be ubiquitous during all times.
fortitude: mental and emotional strength in facing difficulty, or danger
  • I admire my grandma's never breaking fortitude throughout her illness.
nonchalant: coolly unconcerned, unexcited
  • I don't understand how he remaind so nonchalant when he won those  concert tickets, I would have been thrilled.
affect: to act on, to impress the mind or move the feelings of
  • The cold weather of the winter affected the crops terribly.
effect: result
  • The effect of the sun on his fair skin was not good.
misappropriate: to put to a wrong use
  • She misappropriated that highlighter she began to write with it as a pen
pragmatic: of or pertaining to a practical point of view or practical considerations
  • Both of my parents remaind pragmatic when they need to be which is why they work so well together. 
metacognition: higher-order thinking that enables understanding, analysis, and control of one's cognitive processes

devoutly:devoted to divine worship or service
  • They devoutly attended church


No comments:

Post a Comment