Tuesday, January 14, 2014

VOCAB SPRING #2

accoutrements: personal clothing or accessories
-My aunt has the most accoutrements of anyone else I know, her outfits are never boring.
apogee: the highest or most distant point
bicker: to engage in peevish argument
coalesce: to grow or come together into one
contretemps: an embarrassing occurrence
convolution: a coiled or rolled up condition
cull: to select or choose
disparate: essentially different
dogmatic: pertaining to
licentious: going beyond proper limits
mete: to distribute my measure
noxious: harmful to health or physical well-being
polemic: a controversial argument
populous: heavily populated; crowded
probity: honesty
repartee: a quick and witty reply


supervene: to take place or occur as something additional
truncate: to cut short
unimpeachable: above suspicion


-Reaching the apogee of the business was a huge accomplishment
apropos: at the right time
- This job opportunity could not have been any more apropos.
-My two little sisters are constantly bickering over nothing.
-The two lakes coalesced into one.
-Let's just forget about the contretemps of when I fell in front of the whole school.
- The snake remained in a convolution for weeks.
-After much debate, she hesitantly culled the red blouse instead of the black.
-I picked that puppy because of how disparate he was from the others.
-My dad is so dogmatic in arguments and will never listen to the opposing side.
-My best friend always takes things too far, she is so licentious.
-Meting all of the yearbooks to the whole school was a large task.
-Everyone knows how noxious cigarettes are but so many continue to smoke them.
-I don't want to further this conversation because I know it will result in some sort of polemic.
- The hotel pool was so populous, we decided to leave and come back later.
-Thankyou for telling the truth, I respect your probity.
-My dad never misses an opportunity to throw in as many repartees into a conversation as he can.
-I hate to truncate this meeting, but I've got to get going now.
-No matter what anyone says he will remain unimpeachable.


No comments:

Post a Comment