Thursday, September 5, 2013

vocabulary: fall #3


accomplice: a person who helps another in committing a crime
  •       I can't believe that my accomplice ratted me out to the police.
annihilate: destroy utterly
  •       In spite, my brother annihilated my project that i worked on all night.
arbitrary: subject to individual will or judgement without restriction
  •       The decision of making school an open campus is bound to be an arbitrary subject.
brazen: Shameless
  •       The boy was completely brazen after pushing his friend.
catalyst: a person or thing that quickly causes change 
  •       As soon as my cousin moved into town, she proved to be quite the catalyst when everything started to go bad.
exodus: a going out or departure 
  •       My mom always makes sure that her exodus is very dramatic.
facilitate: to make easier or less difficult
  •       Teachers make sure to facilitate lessons during class.
incorrigible: bad beyond correction or reform
  •       Her grade was incorrigible by the end of the semester, meaning that she was not able to graduate on stage.
latent: present but not visible; hidden or concealed
  •       The tension between my dad and my brother was latent but definitely there.
militant: vigourously active and aggressive
  •       The spirit commanders on campus are militant when it comes to dressing up for spirit days.
morose: gloomily or sullenly ill-humored
  • The morose joke the man made at the funeral was highly innapropriate. 
opaque: not transparent or translucent
  • The window was so dirty, it became opaque.
paramount: above others in rank or authority, very important
  • Because my coworker received employee of the month, she seeme
  • d to think that she was paramount in the business now.
prattle: talk in a foolish or simple-minded way
  • All of the prattle I've been hearing has gotten me confused.
rebut: claim or prove that evidence or an accusation is false
  • I made sure to rebut the claims that I received when my teacher thought I had cheated.
reprimand: severe reproof or rebuke
  • When my sister ate all of the chocolate cake that my mom had made, she was reprimanded for not saving any for others.
servitude: slavery or bondage of any kind
  • Opinions on servitude vary but are constantly voiced through all different races. 
slapdash: hurriedly and carelessly 
  • This morning was pure slapdash when i woke up ten minutes before school was to start.
stagnant: not flowing or running
  • The stagnant water outside brought many mosquitos. 
succumb: to give way to superior force
  • She would always succumb immediately when her and her parents would argue.

No comments:

Post a Comment