Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Vocabulary; Fall #6

 adroit: expert in the use of hands or body
   She was clearly an adroit when it came to painting.
 amicable: showing good will
   My mom has always been so amicable towards strangers, so helpful and kind.
 averse: strong feeling of opposition
   I was averse in going to the St. Joe's football game but my parents made me.
 belligerent: warlike
   My dad becomes belligerent when the Steelers play the Bears.
 benevolent: expressing good will or kindly behavior
   Her benevolent manner made her such an easy person to talk to.
 cursory: going over something rapidly without noticing detail
   The teacher always went over the reading material with such cursory that no one ever really understood.
 duplicity: deceitfulness
 extol:  to praise highly
 feasible: capable of being done
 grimace: a facial expression showing dissapproval or pain
   The grimace on the girls face showed her attitude towards the film. holocaust: complete devastation or destruction
 impervious: not permitting passage
 impetus:a moving force
 jeopardy: hazard or risk to exposure of loss or failure
meticulous: showing extreme detail
 nostalgia:wistful desire to return in thought
 quintessence: pure concentrated essence
 retrogress: to go back into a period of time of worse conditions
 scrutinize: examine in detail
 tepid: luke warm
accede: to agree to a demand
  I finally decided to accede and clean my room to avoid punishment from my parents. brandish: to wave or flourish something as a threat in anger/excitement
   She brandishly told me she wasn't going to invite me to her party if I didn't help her.comprise: an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions
deft: neatly skillfull and quick in one's movements
   The basketball player was extremely deft on the court. destitute: without the basic necessities of life
   It's hard seeing people live in such destitute conditions, not even having a home of their own. explicit: stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt
   She wrote in such an explicit way that everyone always clearly understood what she was talking about. extirpate: to destroy completely
 inopportune: occurring at an inconvenient or inappropriate time
   It was extremely oppurtune that our guests arrived right after the turkey burnt. ironic: happening in the way that is opposite from what was expected
   It is extremely ironic that my brother who can't stand the sight of blood is studying to be a doctor.
 musty:  having a stale or damp smell
   The boys locker room was really musty after a week long of practices. officious : assertive of authority in an annoyingly domineering way
   My sister always becomes officious when I'm trying to cook dinner when I really don't need her help at all. ominous : threatening, giving the impression that something bad is going to happen
   From the beginning of the new horror film, there was an ominous feel right away. pinnacle: the most successful point
   We were ecstatic once we reached the pinnacle.  premeditated: thought out or planned before hand
   I knew that the plans for my birthday had been premeditated. rampant: spreading unchecked
 solace: comfort in a time of need
   My best friend is always there to offer solace when I'm sad or upset.stately:  having a dignified, unhurried manner
 supple: bending and moving easily and gracefully, flexible
 suppress: forcibly put an end to
 venal: showing or motivated by susceptibility to bribery

No comments:

Post a Comment