Monday, September 16, 2013

Vocabulary: Fall #5

Adroit: Clever or skillful in using hands or the mind

  • He was an adroit when it came to playing chess, no one could ever catch up.

Amicable: Having a spirit of friendliness

  • Her constant amicable attitude was admired by all.

Averse: Having a strong dislike or opposition for something

  • She was averse when asked if she wanted to go to Magic Mountain, making it clear that she'd rather go to Universal Studios.

Belligerent: hostile and aggressive

  • Please dont be belligerent with me, it wasn't my fault that you got into trouble.

Benevolent: well meaning and kindly

  • My mom is the most benevolent person I know, always thinking of others.

Cursory: hasty, not thorough or detailed

  • She rushed through her project with such cursory that I'll be surprised if she earns a passing grade.

Duplicity: deceitfulness

  • Her Duplicity was not appreciated when she was caught in lie after lie.

Extol: praise enthusiastically

  • The way my sister was extolled after her recital made her so excited to continue with dance lessons.

Feasible: possible to do easily, convenient

  • With the help from many teachers and the school counselor, college is sounding to be alot more feasible than i was expecting.

Grimace: an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust or pain

  • Seeing the grimace on my mom's face when she tried my cookies confirmed the fact that I should not bake.

Holocaust: Destruction or slaughter of a mass scale

  • I pray that there will never be a repeat of the Holocaust

Impervious: not allowing fluid to pass through

  • My new water proof phone case proved to be impervious when I attempted taking under water pictures.

Impetus: the force or energy with which a body moves

  • The intense impetus of the athlete won him first place in the race.

Jeopardy: Danger of loss, harm or failure

  • Please remember that if you ever lie to me you are putting our friendship in jeopardy.

Meticulous: showing great attention to detail; careful and precise

  • She had been a meticulous student her whole life, always turning in the best work.

Nostalgia: a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typical for a period or place with happy personal associations

  • I'm not looking forward to experiencing the nostalgia once I graduate from highschool.

Quintessence: The most perfect or typical example of a quality or class

  • She radiated her quintessence while on the stage.

Retrogress: go back to an earlier state, typically a worse one

  • I was so disappointed to watch my grandma retrogress with her chemo process.

Scrutinize: examine or inspect thoroughly

  • I feel like some teachers scrutinize every assignment I turn in.

Tepid: lukewarm (showing little emotion)

  • My sister's reaction was extremely tepid when I told her that i had been asked to homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment